Trinidad and Tobago Commonwealth Games Association President Brian Lewis yesterday visited President’s House to bring Acting President, Her Excellency Christine Kangaloo, the Queen’s Baton, symbol of the Commonwealth Games which come off in Birmingham, England July 28-August 8 this year.
In keeping with decades-old tradition, the Queen’s Baton, a symbol of unity and diversity, travels the world in relay fashion setting off from Buckingham Palace, London, England and touching down in each of the 72 member-countries of the Commonwealth.
The copper, aluminium and brass Baton is itself a wonder of modern technology featuring:
- LED lighting which changes colour when two people grip the Baton during handover
- a heart rate sensor which displays the heartbeat of its bearers
- atmospheric sensors which analyse the environment conditions wherever it is in the world
- a 360 degree camera which records and transmits imagery and digital information
- GPS tracking
- a special compartment containing the Queen’s Message